Tuesday 22 May 2007

Blogging for knowledge sharing and learning

As I’m in the midst of a research project on the usefulness of blogging for learning and knowledge sharing, it seemed remiss of me not to actually have a blog in which to discuss it.

With a sample of only 14 people, only 9 of which even log on, it’s becoming apparent that developing an internal group blog isn’t that easy. Barriers abound

“I don’t know what to write”
“Who owns the site – are they monitoring what I’m doing? Is this really assessing how much time I spend working and how much I spend on the Internet”
“If I ask questions, I’ll look like I don’t know what I’m doing”

These are just a few reasons I’ve been given for not posting. People are happy to read, happy to comment even, but not happy to post. What began as an attempt to develop an online community has mutated into an examination of why people are reticent. I don’t know if that’s the nature of my own organisation, or of the workforce in general, I suspect it’s the latter. I’m not in a position to research the entire workforce, but then again, am I?

If I ask the question, what prevents people for blogging in a closed, safe, internal environment, will I get any answers?

The only way to know is to ask, so I am…in your experience, what prevents people for blogging in a closed, safe, internal environment?

No comments: